In this session from psadmin.conf 2018, JR Bing gives an introduction to Kubernetes and then dives into why he is using it to run an Elasticsearch cluster. The session includes a great demo as well showing how PeopleSoft interacts with the Kubernetes cluster. He finishes the session with some ideas on how containers Kubernetes could be used by PeopleSoft in the future.
We released the videos as a free course so you can find the videos in one place. Head over to the psadmin.io courses page and sign up. If you already signed up for the course, you can log in and the new video will be available.
This week on the podcast, we discuss some feedback on using Shared Cache, options for non-production SMTP servers, and a chicken and egg problem with the Elasticsearch DPK silent install.
This week on the podcast, Kyle shares some follow-up on the master scheduler changes he made, and Dan shares how he approached troubleshooting an Elasticsearch search issue.
- Regex processing explained @ :45
- [Run Control Framework VFO](PeopleSoft Update Run Control Dates Framework) @ 5:00
- Master Scheduler Follow-up @ 8:00
- Use the DPK to add a pluggable database to a CDB @ 22:30
- Troubleshooting Search Issues @ 27:00
This week on the podcast, Graham Smith, Sasank, Vemana and Jim Marion join Dan at Oracle Open World 2019 to recap the big PeopleSoft announcements. The group discusses the upcoming UI changes in PeopleTools 8.58, the upcoming Kibana visualizations capabilities for application data, and a discussion about search security.
- 8.58 UI Changes @ 3:00
- Kibana Visualizations @ 10:00
- Search Security @ 18:00
- Chatbots and demos that go wrong @ 27:00
This week on the podcast, Dan shares a few tips he’s learned on writing better bash scripts, how the OpenDistro Elasticsearch plugins can be used, and how to generate dump files for App Designer. Then Kyle and Dan discuss how the approached an issue with slow process starts and why understanding the technology stack is so important.
- Bash skillz @ 3:00
- App Designer Dump Files @ 8:45
- OpenDistro ES @ 10:30
- Troubleshooting Slow Process Starts @ 19:00
- Uncommon Solutions @ 34:00
- Work to Replicate the issue/Look at code (if possible)
- MOS/Local Knowledge Base (wiki or tickets)
- Isolate the cause/Eliminate variables/Research Logs
- Attempt to understand the flow/technology/stack
- Develop root-cause theory
- Test to prove/disprove theory
This week on the podcast, Matthew Haavisto joins us to talk about Fluid, Interaction Hub, Federation and planning for new PeopleTools releases.
This week on the podcast, we share some MOS tips to stay updated on changes to PeopleSoft, Dan explains how Elasticsearch handles a full disk, and Kyle shares an “Oh No!” story.
- April CPU Patches @ 3:00
- Tech Updates on Oracle Support @ 6:30
- Elasticsearch Flood Stage @ 16:00
- Kyle’s “Oh No!” Story @ 26:45
This week on the podcast, we talk surprise acquisitions and forks with some favorite middleware product. Kyle shares how the “Hub” routing works with Integration Broker Routings and also gives some tips on comparing Roles between environments.
This week on the podcast, Dan goes through a list of troubleshooting steps for Elasticsearch that he has encountered over the last year. Dan and Kyle discuss shard management, replica settings, setting the JVM heap side, and monitoring Elasticsearch with Cerebro and ElasticHQ.
- ERDs for HR @ 1:30
- Elasticsearch “slow” @ 5:00
- Elasticsearch – Unassigned Shards @ 9:00
curl -u esadmin:password -XGET esserver:9200/_cat/shards?h=index,shard,prirep,state,unassigned.reason | grep UNASSIGNED
- Elasticsearch replica settings @ 16:00
- Cerebro @ 24:00
- Elasticsearch URL querying @ 30:00